What are my options for dealing with debt?
There are a number of options when it comes to dealing with your debts. Depending on your circumstances, not all of them may be available to you. To help you decide which option is most suitable for you:
- Answer the questions below. You don't have to answer all of them, but you will get more accurate results if you do. Where words have a dotted line under them, you can click them for further information. Our budgeting and debt calculator may be a useful guide when answering some of the questions (eg. disposable income and total debts).
- When you have answered the questions, click "view my options"
- Any options that are not available to you will be highlighted in red along with an explanation. You can still read up on these if you wish, but based on your answers they may not be suitable for you.
- The remaining options are highlighted in green. Based on your answers, these may all be available to you. In some cases, we have highlighted issues that may be important to you (based on your answers) with a warning sign.
- Read through all of your available options carefully by clicking on them in the green box.
- After reading through an option, you may feel that it is not appropriate for you. You can then "disregard" this option by clicking the link at the bottom of the page. These "disregarded" options will show in an amber box. You can change your mind about this later, but it may be useful to see clearly which options you still have available.
- When you have decided on an option that you want to continue with, there is a link at the bottom of the description to further information on how to continue. This information can also be accessed on the main menu under section 2 "How to Continue With My Chosen Option"
Important - This section has been designed as a basic introductory guide only on how to deal with your debts and the potential options and solutions available.
You should not base your decisions solely on the results of our debt options tool.
Debt can be a complex area and you should always get full independent advice if you have any doubts.
These options may be available to you. Read about them in full by clicking these links below:
- Full and Final Settlement Offers
- Consolidation Loan / Re-finance / Mortgage
- Administration Order
- Debt Management Plan (DMP)
- Debt Relief Order (DRO)
- Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA)
In certain circumstances, it may be possible to write-off your debts